Pine Valley Broken Circle CountyWide T Hunt 1/30/2016

Posted by   N6SZO


Joe Corones N6SZO

Greg Spaulding W6BAF

Robert Dexter N9SCD

Transmitter Data


Transmitter Power

Antenna Type



1 .5 W Watts Whip Vertical 0 Degrees
2 0.25 Watts Rubber Duck Vertical 0 Degrees
3 .50MW Watts Rubber Duck Vertical 0 Degrees
4 .5 W Watts Whip Vertical 0 Degrees
5 .25 MW Watts Rubber Duck Vertical 0 Degrees
6 .50 MW Watts Rubber Duck Vertical 0 Degrees
7 .25 MW Watts Rubber Duck Vertical 0 Degrees
8 .25 MW Watts Rubber Duck Vertical 0 Degrees
9 .25 MW Watts Thin Wire Horizontal 0 Degrees
10 .50MW Watts Rubber Duck Vertical 0 Degrees
11 1.0 W Watts 4 Element Yagi Vertical 189 Degrees
15 150 W Watts 13 Element Yagi Vertical 270 Degrees


The Real Story....,1/30/16 COUNTY-WIDE TRANSMITTER HUNT SUMMARY, (Pine Valley broken circle hunt), Our Plan "A " could not be completed for this hunt so we resorted to Plan "B". When checking out the Pine Valley area we discovered that a section of road was closed that allowed a circle route through the Pine Valley area so went to Plan "B". The use of a 150 Watt amplifier just barely allowed us to get a signal back to Montgomery Field when we ran a test before the hunt. A ground survey indicated that we had plenty of locations for lots of transmitters and there would be some overlapping of the small squawk box's and Micro-Foxe's. We used Pic Cons for 4 of the T's and tried to synchronize them so once the main T was found by everyone it could be silenced and the smaller T's could be located easier. Borrowing equipment from Joe/KE6PHB and Robert/N9SCD allowed us to have a total of 12 T's running at the start of the hunt, all on the same frequency! Robert and I convened with Greg at the Sunrise Hwy. & I-8 exit at 0800 on the morning of the hunt to transfer equipment and get started setting up the T's. Robert and I would set up T-1, T-2, T-3, T-4 & T-5 and would then go to Pine Valley Park to set up the 150 W T-0. Greg would proceed north and set up T-6, T-7, T-8, T-9, T-10, & T-11 and then meet us back at the park which opened at 0900. T-4 & T-5 were up and running as we left that location, about half way to set up T-1 & T-2 we noticed that T-4 was no longer running. First complication of the day! We set up T-1 & T-2, then stopped on the way back to T-4 to set out T-3. Now we were getting pressed for time. Got back to T-4 and determined that maybe a cable from the HT to the outside antenna on the ammo box might be bad so replaced it and things seemed to be working fine Off to the Pine Valley Park to set up T-0. 0935, Tom/K6VCR called and wanted to know if we wanted a Signal Check", we were miles away from the park at this point so we declined. Arrived at the park and had things set up by a few minutes to 10 and called VCR to take him up on the offer of signal checking. The signal was not the best from what they told us but .everyone could hear it so hunt started at 10:02. HUNT SUMMARY: Hunt starts at 10:02, we were informed that 4 teams had decided to compete in near perfect hunt weather even thought a storm was predicted to move in that afternoon. At 11:07-sighted Joe/KE6PHB & Tony/WA6ZMZ going e/b on Old Hwy 80 as if they had come in from the Descanso option. 11:10-Tom/K6VCR pulls in the park with Joe/KE6PHB & Tony/WA6ZMZ a few seconds behind. 11:14-Bill/W6ZM & his son Brian/KI6DUR pull in. The 3 teams check into T-0, take a few bearings, a pit stop, confer with Greg, Robert and I and then leave. 11:44- the 4th team, Dick/WB6ZAM & Mark/K6MHO arrive and get checked in so we can now turn off the 150 W T-0 so some of the other 11 drifting transmitter signals all on the same frequency can be heard+óGé¼-ª. If you watched your attenuation! We piled into Greg's vehicle to scout the area as 3:00 PM was the deadline to turn in the tags so we figured no one would be back until about 2:45. We had decided to stop the hunt at 3 due to possible storm and also because Major's Coffee Shop in Pine Valley closed at 4. We checked out every T and observed 3 of the 4 teams at some point during the next hour. We also discovered that T-3 was not getting out to well and that T-8's signal was somewhat directional as it was in some rocks. We replaced the antenna on T-8 and then went back to the park. Greg then took another antenna over to replace on T-3. As Greg was leaving we had a visitor, Mary/KJ6ZIW. She was on her way to her cabin on Mt. Laguna, which we have used for a couple of T-Hunt events and she knew that we would be camped out in Pine Valley for a few hours so just stopped by to say Hello. 2:14-VCR pulled back into the parking lot and took some more bearings and then left. At 2:48 K6VCR returned, at 2:52 W6ZM & KI6DUR returned, at 2:52:30 KE6PHB & WA6ZMZ returned, at 3:07 WB6ZAM & K6MHO returned. Everyone did an exceptional job on this hunt locating the various T's under stressful conditions. Congratulations. RESULTS: In order of 1st place thru 4th. place. Tom/K6VCR ..found, T's 0,1,2,4,5,6,7,9,10,11Total = 9, Joe/N6SZO, Robert/N9SCD, The group adjourned to Alpine and Janet Montana's for dinner and discussion and I think most of us got home before the rain started. We hope everyone had a good time. Results also posted on our T-Hunt Reflector,
View Transmitter Location View Hunt Pictures